Kaddu is one such vegetable which is popular for its sweets recipe as well as a veggie in lots of sabzi dishes around the world and is a vegetarian delight. Indian cuisine has many Kaddu/Bottlegourd recipes like for sweets there is Kaddu Halwa and its Kheer and as a vegetable there can be Kaddu Dal, Kaddu Sabzi or it can be used along other veggies in a mix vegetable recipe.
For video recipe click here : Kaddu Sabzi Tasty different method
In this recipe, I will show you a simple but very delicious Kaddu Sabzi Recipe made in spicy masala which further enhances the taste. Kaddu is also known by many names like Lauki, Dudhiya and Bhopla. In this sabzi recipe chopped kaddu pieces are cooked with grinded green masala which also has grated coconut to make it lip smacking vegetarian recipe. Tastes best with chapati, Roti or phulka.
- Bottle Gourd 500gm
- Chana dal 2 tbsp
- Coconut grated 1/2
- Green chilly 50 gm
- Ginger 50 gm
- Garlic 4-5
- Coriander leaves
- Onion 250 gm
- Tomato 2-3
- Salt as per taste
- Turmeric powder 1 spoon
- Oil 2 tbsp
Method to prepare the Kaddu Sabzi:
- Firstly, Roast green chilly for 30 sec
- Secondly, In a mixer jar, add chilly, ginger, garlic and coconut along with little water and grind to a medium thick paste
- Further, Heat a pan and on full flame
- Add 2 tbsp oil
- Now, add onion and roast until brown
- Add tomato and stir cook until it softens to a paste
- On medium flame add chana dal and mix it
- Add the grinded green masala and stir cook for 30 sec
- Add salt and turmeric powder
- Mix it well
- Most importantly, To avoid darkening of chopped Bottle Gourd pieces, keep them immersed in water.
- Add chopped bottle gourd and mix it well while cooking on for 2-3 min on medium flame
- Later, Close lid and cook further for 5 min on medium flame
- Tasty bottle gourd sabzi is ready.
- Serve hot with Chapati, Roti or Phulka.