Malida is traditional konkan recipe made as a breakfast/Snack or sometime on special occasions. It has many versions and some view it as a comfort food when they use leftover chapati’s to make this recipe. In this recipe we will make it using rice flour in an authentic way as it is usually made. You can also make the Malida recipe using wheat flour and I will show it in the forthcoming blog posts.
Watch the Video recipe of Malida: Malida Traditional Konkan Recipe
The most important ingredient in a Malida recipe is Coconut and as coconuts are found in abundant in konkan region, this special dish is a local delicacy. Try the Mangalore famous Banana Buns recipe or Soft Idli Recipe made without Baking Soda. I will show you 2 methods to prepare Malida/Maleeda, one using the Steam cooker and another through regular vessel.
- Jaggery 250 gm
- Rice flour 250 gm
- Coconut 1 large grated or powder
- Water 1 cup
- Raisins 50 gm
- Salt 1 spoon
- Cardamom powder 1 spoon
- Fennel seeds powder 1 spoon
- Firstly, Add rice flour in a bowl
- Now Add salt in water and dissolve it
- Secondly, Sprinkle the salted water in the rice flour bowl and mash it continuously to mix it thoroughly.
- Method 1: using steam cooker add water upto the specified limit and place the rice flour mixture in the cooker shelf’s and cook for 5 min on full flame while checking the water in the pan.
- Method 2: Using a vessel, add 1 ltr water and rice flour mixture and cook for 5 min on full flame
- Cook the rice flour until it forms balls when checked with fingers
- Take off stove
- In a bowl add the cooked rice flour
- Similarly, in a bowl add grated coconut and grated jaggery and mix it well
- Add the jaggery and coconut into the cooked rice flour bowl
- Similarly, add raisins and Mix it thoroughly
- Tasty Rice flour Malida is Ready.